True Crime Wiki
From True Crime Wiki
- 1 Week 1: An Introduction to True Crime
- 2 Week 2 Colonial Crimes
- 3 Week 3 Colonial Crimes: Discipline and Punish
- 4 Week 4 Crime, Punishing, & the Early Republic
- 5 Week 5: True Crime as National News
- 6 Week 6: Video Production-Episode 1 of "True Crime: America's Most Wanted"
- 7 Week 7: Fred & Allie and Murder Ballad
- 8 Week 8: Fall Break
- 9 Week 9: More and Better Psychopaths
- 10 Week 10: "The Black Dahlia" & In Cold Blood
- 11 Week 11: In Cold Blood & Video Production
- 12 Week 12: Helter Skelter
- 13 Week 13: The Stranger Beside Me
- 14 Week 14: Goodfellas/Monster
Week 1: An Introduction to True Crime
Tues 8/27 Introduction to the Course
- Personal Introductions
- Syllabus Review
Thurs 8/29 Introduction to the True Crime Genre
- Watch Stephen Pinker’s Ted Talk “The Better Angels of Our Nature”
- Harold Schechter’s Introdcution to True Crime Anthology
- Harold Schechter's Interview on True Crime
Week 2 Colonial Crimes
Tues 9/3 Pillars of Salt
- Link to the email sent to all students with links to the readings, expectations, etc.
- Pillars of Salt: An Anthology of Early American Crime Fiction, Daniel E. Williams Introduction
- Cotton Mather’s collection of “Pillars of Salt” narratives. Please note: the third set of pages (82-83) in this pdf are mistakenly duplicated here, simply disregard them.
Thurs 9/5 Sexuality, Crime, and Gender
- Esther Rodgers's The Declaration & Confession of Esther Rodgers
- Patience Boston's The Faithful Narrative of the Wicked Life of Patience Boston
- Owen Syllavan A Short Account of the Life off John ********* ALias Owen Syllavan
Week 3 Colonial Crimes: Discipline and Punish
Tue 9/10: Theorizing the Nature of Crime
- From Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish '"Chapter 1: The Body of the Condemned"
- From Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish "Chapter 2: The Spectacle of the Scaffold"
- Levi Ames "The Life, Last Words, and Dying Speech of Levi Ames"
Thu 9/12: Pyrates, Negroes, and Thieves
- William Fly, The Vial Poured out upon the See
- Sketches of the Life of Joseph Mountain, A Negro
- The Narrative and Confessions of Thomas Powers, A Negro
Week 4 Crime, Punishing, & the Early Republic
Tuesday 9/17: Theives, Scandal, & Murder
- The American Bloody Register
- The Record of Crimes in the United States, Jesse Strang pp. 202-213
- George Swearingen pp. 42-67
Thursday 9/19: From Domestic to National Abuses
Week 5: True Crime as National News
Tue 9/24: Crime on Display
- Nathaniel Hawthorne “A show of wax-figures” from The American Notebooks
- Abraham Lincoln “Remarkable Case of Arrest for Murder”
- Ambrose Bierce “Crime News from California”
Thu 9/26: Muckraking
- Lincoln Steffens "The Shame of Minneapolis"
- Harding and the Ohio Gang section from The Big Book of Thugs
Week 6: Video Production-Episode 1 of "True Crime: America's Most Wanted"
Tue 10/1: No Class
- This time should be used for the groups to work on their ideas for their video segments
Thu 10/3: Video Production
Week 7: Fred & Allie and Murder Ballad
Tue 10/8. The Ballad of Fred & Allie
Mad Love: The Ballad of Fred & Allie ￼
Thu 10/10. Murder Ballads
- Poor Naomi, "OMIE WISE"
- Stackalee, "Stagger Lee"
- The Murder of Grace Brown, "THE BALLAD OF GRACE BROWN AND CHESTER GILLETTE"
- Belle, Gunness, "Belle Gunness Was A Fair Lady Ballad"
- "The Murder at Fall River"
- "The Trail's End"
Week 8: Fall Break
Week 9: More and Better Psychopaths
Tues 10/22. Torso
Thurs 10/24 More and Better Psychopaths & Execution
Week 10: "The Black Dahlia" & In Cold Blood
Tues 10/29. The Black Dahlia and My Mother's Killer
Week 11: In Cold Blood & Video Production
Thurs 10/31: ''In Cold Blood''
- Truman Capote's In Cold Blood Part 1
Tues 11/5: "In Cold Blood"
- Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" Part 2
Thu 11/7: Working and recording details to be decided
Week 12: Helter Skelter
Tue 11/12 Helter Skelter (the movie)
- Watch online here: http://videos.umwblogs.org/2013/10/23/helter-skelter/ The password is "truecrime" (no quotes).
Thu 11/14 Hippies, Vietnam, and the 1960s
- Truman Capote Interviews Bobby Beausoleil in San Quentin
- John Waters' "Leslie Van Houten, A Friendship"